Giving Voice to your Voice Designs
October 31, 8:30am - 5pm
Designing for voice interaction can be an intimidating concept for a generation of designers trained primarily in visual principles and patterns. But there’s a greater need for voice designers than there are folks experienced in voice design. Join us and see how the skills you already have can translate to this evolving design specialty. In this workshop, you’ll learn the basics of voice design and how to apply these skills to begin the design of your own voice app or skill.
A brief history of voice technology - An overview of key terms and concepts specific to voice design - A walkthrough of the specific design constraints you'll need to apply to your work - A set of guidelines and best practices for successful voice design - Design deliverables for voice interfaces
- Brainstorming: ideas for VUI skills or features
- Constraints: Applying VUI design constraints to our brainstorm to identify the strongest candidates
- Intent generation: For a specific skill, developing 1-2 intents with slots and sample utterances
- Storyboarding: Exploring the context of use for your skill
- Sample dialogs: Fleshing out your interactions with scriptwriting
- Flow diagrams: Transforming your dialogs into customer flows to bridge the gap to implementation
Participants will walk away with an understanding of the history of voice design, the technology behind today’s natural language systems, a framework of constraints and guidelines for successful voice designs, and experience with the key deliverables generated during the voice design process.
Prior experience as a designer in some capacity is helpful, as we do assume basic familiarity with traditional design process and deliverables.
Coding for designers: How to prototype delightful animations and interactions
October 31, 8:30am - 4pm
Clive K. Lavery
What’s in it for me, Adobe XD?
October 31, 8:30am - 1pm
2018 looks like a showdown year for design and prototyping systems and presumably sometime soon there will be a handful remaining go-to solutions for digital design professionals amidst the vast array of offerings on the market today (last time we stopped counting there were round about 60...)
In this deep dive, we encourage you to take the time and Adobe XD for a thorough spin, discuss with the extended XD team and learn about its powerful capabilities, that are continuously expanding literally every month, based on the direct input and requests from our users – you!
Clive K. Lavery will provide unique insights into the roadmap and the user centric design process at Adobe and explain how the XD team manages to deliver quality releases across five platforms on a monthly release cadence. Ask any question, and discuss best practices in product design and development with Clive, who is a member of the XDI Team.
After an introductory discussion including proper expectation management, we’re going to dive into bringing a simple user flow to life. Attendees will create an interactive prototype from scratch, that is shared for feedback and delivered to production. Attendees are to touch every feature of the software and will leave the workshop ready for production work using Adobe XD.
Throughout the workshop, attendees will discuss common (and maybe even completely new) additional ideas and feature requests with the extended XD team and the group, and gain a good understanding on how XD can help solving day to day challenges now and in the future.
- This workshop is for designers working on all kinds of products that (also) live on a screen, and for people of various related job roles e.g. product owners or developers, that want to prototype and communicate ideas quickly on all levels of fidelity.
- It is suitable for both beginners and experienced users of XD.
- Attendees are required to bring their own macOS or Windows 10 computer and an iOS or Android device. Detailed instructions will be sent to attendees in good time before the workshop.